3 Common Problems That Concern Expats Living in Shanghai
Living in Shanghai can be both fascinating and overwhelming for expats. One of the most prosperous cities in the world, with the fast-growing development that spans over the last twenty years, a perfect mixture of the Eastern and the Western cultures – beautiful Shanghai!
However, there are some issues that concern expats the most, including Internet and International TV problems and air quality in Shanghai. Here we prepared some useful information and tips that will make your life more enjoyable while living in Shanghai.
1. International TV
China has issued strict rules on imported TV formats in an effort to “promote domestic originality,” according to the country’s central media regulator.
How to watch Live International TV Channels?
Live international channels can normally be watched in place like hotels, but as the market is so big, there are always private channels for home use TV service that will allow you to watch live Sports or News at home. There are two types of connections on the market in Shanghai, Satellite and Internet connection, the most used is Internet based, as installing a Satellite dish is not allowed in most places around Shanghai. We at TEK-Shanghai have options that cover international TV channels, from English to Italian, French, Portuguese etc., from News to Sports, Kids Channels, Movies and more.
Shanghai is a fascinating city, however, when it comes to the Internet, residents get frustrated due to various issues. One of the most popular questions expats ask is: “Why is the Internet so slow in China even when I use a website without a need of VPN?” There are a few reasons for that. First, international bandwidth is limited; China relies on fiber cable, which was built in 10 years ago. In fact, local connectivity is quite fast, but when it comes to international connectivity you will experience the slow Internet speed. In short, you are now in the largest intranet in the world. Also, China is censored, meaning that you cannot access many international websites without using VPN.
There are 2 ways to access blocked international sites or browse faster:
- Getting a VPN service can be an app on your phone, software on your computer, or even a Router for the whole family to access. Choosing a trustful server is very important.
- China Telecom delivers the service called commercial line, which makes using the internet access faster and more stable, but the cost will be 4 times higher than the regular home line you already have.
3. Air quality
Clean air is one of the keys to optimum health. Just imagine for a moment that we had no more clean air to breathe. What would that be like for us? For everyone, universally, air to breathe is the one thing we cannot exist without moment to moment. And yet we almost never think about it unless we don’t have it. Air purifiers effectively alleviate air quality problems by removing the pollutants in your home, therefore providing with a cleaner air for you and your family.
What do I need to pay attention to when choosing an air purifier?
How to choose a suitable air-purifier to combat Shanghai pollution? Important factors to consider while purchasing air-purifier are:
- The filters, and their efficiency to remove PM 2.5 and other pollutants. Good quality air purifier machines should include a HEPA filter, aka “High Energy Particulate Arresting”, which removes a minimum of 99.97 percent of particles down to 0.3 microns, therefore including PM2.5 and much smaller particles. The PM2.5 size particle is considered the most hazardous to our health, as it is small enough to breathe deeply into our lungs and enter our bloodstream.
- Energy efficiency – most quality machines use much less electricity than air-conditioners, so won’t cause a huge increase in your power bill, even when using air purifier in your home left on continuously for 24 hours a day.
- Area Coverage – Make sure you get a machine big enough to clean the whole room.
- Duration for replacement of filters. This can make a big difference to the cost of operating a machine over its lifetime.
- Noise – Most machines are slightly noisy on high setting, but low to medium settings are quite reasonable and can also produce a calming mild background noise to help you sleep.
- After sales service – the better quality the machine is, the less you will need this, but it is still an appropriate consideration.
To learn more about air purifiers / dehumidifiers, or request more information about face masks, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org or add our specialist on WeChat: a20012016 for the further consultation.
This article is provided by:
Being committed to delivering exceptional customer service, our expertise and quality of our products, TEK-Shanghai has become the IT solutions advisor for expat community in Shanghai. In the heart of Green City, Pudong, our retail store serves customers, delivering hundreds of genuine gadgets, including PC, smartphones, tablets, TV, printers, cameras, speakers, air-purifiers, software and numerous accessories. At TEK-Shanghai we provide you with a team of English speaking engineers that handle all types of IT problems.
Our featured services for a private client: Installation of International TV boxes; Wi-Fi coverage and boosting the Internet speed; Any types of repairs; Home, remote and mail-in IT support
Corporate IT Support for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises: Wiring, Internet Wi-Fi coverage, phone systems; International business VPN access and data security; Computer hardware and software configuration; Website and email hosting, printer rental and supplies; Long term contract IT outsourcing
www.tekshanghai.com | 021 5080 7398 | WeChat: TEK-Shanghai